Pages

Spanish Home Lessons: Vowels (Aprendiendo Las Vocales)

Little one has started to identify, and read some words in English; so I have jumped on the opportunity to start teaching him on how to read in Spanish! :) 

To start learning his vowels I am using a Cartilla Fonética (This is a phonics booklet used in the Puerto Rican school system. Unfortunately, they don't sell these on Amazon or on-line. Trust me I've looked.  I was blessed to have my mother send us one from Puerto Rico).  I started using this booklet because it's simple, and very easy to practice and to read the vowels in Spanish.

What I like about "la cartilla fonética" is that the phonetics of the vowels are being repeated through out the words, and sentences. Creating rhyming sounds, and repetition. Great for learning! 

Phonetic booklet



We practiced our "a,e,i,o,u" with  "ma,me,mi,mo,mu", as I pointed out to the letters in the page; and he repeated.  To supplement the use of the "la cartilla fonética" I gave little one his own vowel mini book: "Las Vocales Este Mini libro Pertenece a..." that I found here (this blog has lots of great printables in Spanish). He practiced saying out loud his vowels in Spanish as he colored,and called out the names of the pictures in Spanish, too:
  • A:  avión, abeto 
  • E: estrella, elefante
  • I:  isla, iglú
  • O: oso, oveja 
  • U: uva, unicornio  
What I really liked about this mini-book is that he can also trace the letters of the vowels. 

Once we finished our lesson we watched and sang the words to this very catchy video of the vowels in Spanish: 



This was a fun session, but I know if I don't "spice" it up; my child will lose interest.  I've been pondering ideas on how to incorporate learning the vowels in a fun and easy way! I'll be back with a new version on "Aprendiendo las vocales" :) in the meantime, what fun ways do you teach your child another language?

Please like, comment, share or pin!

¡Hasta la próxima!